Sunday, June 28, 2009

Last Weekend

So last weekend we made the short trip up to Coeur d'Alene to watch one of my sorority sisters get married as well as to support our good friends, Holly and Justin, as they competed in the Ironman. We attended the wedding on Saturday and spent a lot of time hanging out at Holly and Justin's. On Sunday, we got up bright and early to watch this intriguing event where the athletes swim 2.4 miles in the lake, bike 112 miles throughout the hilly Coeur d'Alene terrain, and run 26.2 miles. Now you may ask who is crazy enough to do this and the answer is...NOT ME! The race began at 7:00 in the morning and to be an "Ironman," the athletes had to be through the entire race by midnight.When we arrived at the lake, I couldn't believe the number of people willing to put their bodies through such a brutal event. I had butterflies in my stomach for Holly as I knew she was really nervous. Finally the gun went off and everyone began jumping in the lake. Watching 2,600 people jump into the lake within a matter of seconds of one another is quite the site!

Eli and I ended up volunteering during the run portion by serving chicken broth. By the time evening had fallen, the temperature had really dropped and the rain was beginning to fall. You could definitely tell that the athletes were having a hard time with the natural elements. Many found the warm broth to be soothing and yummy....needless to say, we were busy!

Both Holly and Justin completed the race within the allotted time! Both of them are Ironmen! What an amazing feat to have accomplished! While there is no way in hell that I would ever be caught competing in something half that hard, it was an amazing event to watch, support, and volunteer for. I'm proud to say that my friends are Ironmen!

CONGRATULATIONS HOLLY AND JUSTIN!!!

(Of course, I forgot my camera on this little trip, so I don't have any pics but the one above is of Holly and Justin after they completed a half marathon in March!)

No comments:

Post a Comment