Saturday, August 22, 2009

Bittersweet

FYI: I'm too lazy to proof read this prior to posting it, so please read over any typos and imperfections!!!

I've have discovered many things over the past four weeks...both good and bad. I have come to the conclusion that nothing can prepare a woman for motherhood; nothing can prepare a woman for the emotional roller coaster that comes with motherhood. People always talk about how wonderful and beautiful it is to be a new mom, but rarely talk about the difficulties. I have debated over putting my feelings that have developed over the past month on here for fear of people judging me (you know, showing you the whole picture not just the pretty parts...) I have decided to post about it in hopes of receiving advice and even words of comfort!

Warning: I'm going to talk a lot about breast feeding and boobs so proceed at your own will!

When Addison was born, the nurses had me use a nipple shield immediately because she wasn't able to latch on because my nipples weren't protruding enough. Once I had the shield I felt like breastfeeding was going really well. I had a few bumps in the road and a little pain, but really, it was a breeze but there was a problem...Addison wasn't gaining weight. After three weeks she still wasn't at her birth weight. We have been in and out of the doctor at least once if not twice a week for weight checks. After three weeks, the doctor sent me back to a lactation consultant to wean Addi off of the nipple shield. After my consultation with the nurse, I felt we had just made it over a huge hurtle. Addi was suddenly able to eat A LOT more milk in a much shorter time. I couldn't wait for her to go to her next dr.'s appt. as I was sure she would be at her birth weight. Three days later, Addi weighed only 1.5 more ounces. Throughout this time I had been back to the lactation consultant as I was having SEVERE pain while breastfeeding. (I told Eli that I would rather give birth a thousand times over than breastfeed one more time...it was HORRIBLE.) I began to feel like I was failing at breastfeeding and being a mom. Here my baby was having difficulties gaining weight and I was hesitant to feed her because of my pain.

Just last Wednesday I went back to the lactation consultant because Addi's doctor wanted to check her weight before and after a feeding just to make sure she was getting a sufficient amount of milk. While I was there, I told the nurse that it still hurts really bad. (At this point it has almost been one week without the shield and she and another consultant had told me that it shouldn't hurt after a week.) Anyway, the nurse told me she was latching on fine, I just needed to shove her face further into my boob. (I knew this wasn't the problem as the pain never eased up let alone subsided...) Needless to say, she really wasn't much help. She made me feel even worse, like I was truly failing at breastfeeding. After all, it's supposed to be this wonderfully amazing bonding experience...What was wrong with me? I came home and just bawled to Eli telling him about the whole experience....it sucked.

Anyway, Thursday came and went with similar pain but on Friday I thought we had finally made progress. I had pain when she latched on but then it would ease up and I barely felt anything...it was wonderful! I was really relieved and hoped that we were finally on the right road...

Guess I was wrong. I am in worse pain today than I have been since I started this whole process. My nipples are now both cracked and bleeding. I don't what to do. Addi's had a lot of problems pulling in her bottom lip and we have successfully rectified that problem, but now I think she's sucking in her top lip and I don't know how to get it out. I don't feel like I can go back to the lactation consultant. What she going to do? Tell me how I am failing and how her lip is fine like she did last time when I thought Addison was pulling it in? I don't need to hear it. I don't know if I can keep going with this. I have tried to stay positive, but I have never felt more alone and helpless. I want what's best for Addi. I want her healthy and striving. HAPPY NOTE: while today has been very stressful and depressing, it has been wonderful too! When we went to the doctor this morning, Addison weighed 7lbs 8oz!!! Finally, four weeks after her birth, she met and surpassed her birth weight!!! WHAT A HUGE RELIEF!

So my question is, has anybody had problems with their child pulling their top lip in and if so, how do I fix it? Should I buck up and go talk to the lactation consultant again?

I SO SO SO want breastfeeding to be the wonderful thing that people talk about. I want to feel like I am being successful in feeding my child. I can't handle the feelings that this is making me have....

I promise my next post will be happy and talk of all the exciting and wonderful things that come with being a mommy...after all, there are MANY! Until then, here are some happy pictures of little Addi!



11 comments:

  1. Well I was right in the middle of a nice lost comment when my computer shut off! GRR! But I was just saying THANKS for posting this. Sometimes amidst trying to conceive I forget the aftermath...I of course don't know your pain - but I'm not looking forward to it! You really are doing the right thing for your baby by breastfeeding, but this should be a happy and memorable time in your life too. Try not to stress too much about it - and if the person you are going to for help stresses you out even more, then don't go. I literally have no other advice because well...my nipples are lonely and barren...as is my uterus...lol...but stay positive and do lots of Googling. I found out more about trying to conceive online than I EVER did through my doctor or anyone else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jess! Sorry to hear that this is being so hard. Nursing for me wasn't as great as I had envisioned it at first with both my kids. I don't have a ton of suggestions. I know when I cracked never with Halie, but yes with Jacen I used lanolin...a cream that seemed to help. I have a really good friend that used black tea bags...yes the actual bag after seeping it (putting it in hot water for a few minutes) and she swears it helped ease the pain a ton and also heal it.
    Are you trying different positions for nursing? This helped me when I was in pain during the first few weeks. I would change positions almost every time. I think it helped so that my body wasn't being affected the exact same way every time.
    The football hold helped when Jacen was pulling his top lip in...I think it was just the angle.
    Good luck. I wish I lived closer and I would come give you a hug and offer to help in any way I could.
    Take care of yourself girl! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jess, I am soo sorry to hear about that fake nipple thingy. I HATED it and the nurses who put Jeremy on it. It made my nipples hurt so bad and I too was having some of the same thoughts and feelings. I just took him off and he eventually learned to eat cuz I didn't give him another choice...not that this really pertains to you right now cuz she's off the fake nipple, but I have empathy for you.

    I would try and stick my finger in her mouth as she starts eating and pull her lip up...or as she is latching kinda hold her jaw open until she has the right latch and as she clamps down pull both her lips in. I'm not sure if you have already tried that or not. Doesn't sound like the lactation nurse is really helping...but if you do go back ask for another lactation nurse or be stern about what you feel. Although yer a new mommy you have the best instincts for little Addison.

    I'm sure you're such a great mommy...I know you are! Sounds like she is on the right track for gaining weight. Although the doctors might be pushing you to have her gain weight just remember she is a preemie and the weight gain will be slow but steady. I agree with Chelsea about the football hold. It was always easier for me. The cream she mentioned was absolutely amazing. Don't worry about putting too much on. When she is done nursing dry yerself off and then load the stuff on... if it's possible let yer nipples have fresh air as much as possible. it sounds funny but it feels so good to let them breathe.

    Keep on keepin on...it might take a few more weeks to calous yer nipples. That fake nipple didn't help, so it's like your barely starting to breastfeed as of right now.

    I love you! Good luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you able to pull her upper lip out when she sucks it in?

    Also, you can ask for more ideas on the La Leche League forums here:
    http://forums.llli.org/

    You can also find someone from LLL in your local area here:
    http://www.llli.org/WebUS.html
    They may think of something that the LC didn't come up with -it can't hurt and it's free.

    There is also a help form here:
    http://www.llli.org/help_form

    I'm sorry you've had such a hard time - it seems like you've come a long way, though ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow -- it has been rough! Has anyone checked her for a tongue tie? Sometimes that might be the thing, and it might not be real noticeable. If you run your finger under her tongue and feel a "speed bump" she may have a type 3 or 4 tongue tie; if you come to a full stop, it's a 1 or 2. This may not be the issue at all, but with all you've posted, you need a good IBCLC to check on her and see if that might be the problem.

    Jan, IBCLC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh your baby is adorable! I make Sadies bows, I sell them to- let me know if you want to order some! Your baby is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Jessica!
    I am sorry you are struggling with the whole breastfeeding situation. At first I was having pain as well. I have been using Lansinoh and it has really helped soothe my nipples. Also, I talked to a few of the lactation consultants at the hospital while I was there and to be honest those ladies were bitches. They definitely don't have tact and know how to make a new mom feel supported!!! Don't take them personally. You should talk to your pediatrician about the issue too. We have Dr. Lawrence from Moscow Family Medicine as our doctor and she is SUPER supportive and really helpful, plus she has a 9month old son so she is pretty credible!
    Maybe you and I could get together and go to the new mothers group at the hospital that Kym teaches... Anyways, maybe we can get together sometime this week. :o)
    Addison is beautiful and I can't wait to meet her!
    Keep your chin up! I know you are a fabulous mommy and Addison is lucky to have you and Eli as parents. Things will get better....just imagine when she is 16 and you will be thinking to yourself, "And I thought breastfeeding was a struggle....”
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! I wasn't able to reply to your comment - but e-mail me at aprildurham@hotmail.com...

    I might come up there because my dad just moved back there!!! So that would be way awesome! I wanted to go to IRD but...well...I forget why I didn't...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to all of you for your helpful and supportive comments. I finally broke down tonight and called the hospital. My nipples have now been bleeding for over a week and I can't take it anymore. I've tried EVERYTHING. I think there is still something wrong with her latch....not to mention she is spitting up nearly all that I feed her. I think to myself, "Girl, do you know how bad that hurt me to give to you and you puke it up on me?!!!" (I have to find humor in things to keep going!)

    Anyway, I have an appointment tomorrow morning at 8 with a new lactation consultant. I hope it goes well. I'm definitely going to have her look at everything to find our problem! Wish us luck! I will report back...hopefully with great news!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, I know you don't know me but I just came across your blog. :)

    I'm glad you have an appt with a new LC. Another thing that I highly recommend you do is find your local La Leche League. LLL is a huge breastfeeding support group that is bounch to have women who have been there, done that. :)

    I had very similar problems when I first started nursing my daughter almost 3 years ago. I had NO clue there was even such thing as an LC or the LLL so I just grinned and beared it. It was so painful but I randomly discovered LANSINOH LANOLIN cream at Target (purple box.) Saved my life! I used it religiously, before and after feedings, on my nipples and it helped so much. Eventually I found my LLL group and have been going to meetings for 2 years.

    Now with my second child, we've had zero issues with breastfeeding. I believe experience and education are to thank for that.

    Obviously since I can't see her latching on I can't help much but it sounds like you are trying all of the right things. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Jess,

    I'm super glad you put your experiences here even if they aren't all great and grand. Right now especially, I want to hear all the not-so-fun things about babies... [only 4 more weeks to go and then I will be experiencing it myself]

    Obviously I have no advice but hopefully the appt. went well and things are going better.

    Take care,
    Kelsie

    ReplyDelete