Sunday, February 15, 2009

The "H" Word

As I was getting ready to start our daily calendar routine with my kindergartners, one of them ran up to me frantic, "Mrs. Cann, so and so just said the 'h' word." I got a song started for the rest of the kids to sing along with while I pulled so and so to the side.

Being the fact that swearing is a HUGE no-no, I was coming down pretty hard on him. The conversation went something like this:

Me: "Now you know that we do not use words like that in our classroom."
So and So: "I know, I know, I tried not to."
Me: "No there is not any trying in the matter, there is absolutely no excuse for using those words. Those words are VERY bad."
So and So: (beginning to tear up) "I know..."
Me: "I want to know exactly what you said."
So and So: "I said, (pause) 'hate.'"

It was all I could do not to laugh! I was SO relieved that he hadn't said the inevitable "h" word! Oh the joys of teaching and children!

No comments:

Post a Comment