Tuesday, January 20, 2009

So Blessed

Eli and I feel so blessed to have witnessed a moment of history occur! Today I cried as I watched the inauguration. It's true, I'm a little emotional, but I was very moved.


The theme last week in my classroom was focused on Martin Luther King Jr. Many of my students had never heard of him. As we talked about all of the things MLK Jr. worked for, accomplished, and suffered, the students kept saying things like, "Why weren't they nice to the brown people?" "Well that's not fair?" "Martin was a nice man." "I'm glad Martin made it so that I can play with my friends!" so forth and so forth. It was very cute to see the innocence that each of them shared. Today we culminated our MLK Jr. study and talked about the importance of today, January 20, 2009! I feel so privileged to have taught these children during this monumental occasion because in reality, they have taught me so much more!

No matter your political stance, I hope you too feel blessed to live in a country where "The Dream" is beginning to become a reality. A place where "Men are not judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy Obama won. I hate living in Southern Idaho where everyone is a close-minded conservative/racist. It's so annoying! Aside from the "abortion" stuff, I am SO glad he's in office. I totally voted for him! Woot! (I'm not a one issue voter...) :D

    ReplyDelete